You are here : ENGLISHAdmissionsGlossary/FAQ


When do I need to apply?

Students apply for a semester or year abroad for the following academic year, so you need to prepare your application the year before you want to leave. By October all of the available programs will be posted. Applications are available through your Virtual Learning Environment (for UVSQ students), and are due between mid-November and mid-January.

How are students selected?

For students participating in a departmental exchange program, students are selected by the department’s program coordinator. For those who are applying to a university-wide general program, students are selected by an interdisciplinary selection panel.
Students are evaluated on their transcripts, motivation, the fit between their current program and their intended major, their personal program ranking, and their level of language proficiency.
For master’s students who are applying to do a research project abroad, the project description and its relevance to the selected country are the two most important criteria.

How long can I study abroad for?

Depending on the program, you can study abroad for either one or two semesters.

When can I study abroad?

Students can go abroad from their second year of study, though most do so in their third year or later.

Are there nationality requirements?

No. Students of any nationality can participate in any study abroad program on the same basis as a French student. Nationality is not a consideration.

Are there language requirements for participating in programs?

Language requirements depend on the program. Some expect you to speak the native language, a few are taught in French, and many will accept you if you speak English. For specific information about any language requirements, email If you wish to study at UVSQ you will need at least an A2 proficiency level in French, and some courses are taught in English.

How much does studying abroad cost?

The cost of a semester or year abroad varies significantly depending on where you are going. Since you pay your regular fees to your home institution, the only difference in costs will be food, accommodation, and personal expenses.